So What Exactly do you do is a question I hear fairly often, and it’s not a question that can be answered succinctly. Some days, I’m at the health center all day. Some days I’m in the community. Some days I’m breaking stereotypes [oh, you do your own laundry… I don’t believe you]. Some days I’m at the market buying fresh fruits and vegetables and practicing Kinyarwanda. Some days I’m teaching community members how to have better health. There is no typical day for a PCV. That being said, there are fairly common periods that every PCV goes through.
- Swearing-in Ceremony and officially becoming PCVs.
- Moving to site and that first weekend alone
- Community Entry
- Site Goals + Personal Goals
- Community Familiarization Exercises
- Government/ International Campaigns
- Special Projects
- Clubs and other groups
- Mid Service Conferences
- Is it time to go home yet?